Torrance Unpaid Wage Attorney


As an employee, you are entitled to fair compensation for your hard work, and employers are legally obligated to ensure that wages are paid promptly and in accordance with California labor laws. However, all too often, workers in Torrance find themselves facing the distressing issue of unpaid wages, which can have a profound impact on their financial stability and overall well-being.

Located in the South Bay region in the metro Los Angeles area, Torrance has 1.5 miles of beachfront and 30 parks including 44-acre Charles H. Wilson Park. Torrance is also home to a number of employers such as the Del Amo Shopping Center, Toyota Financial Services, Torrance Memorial Medical Center and El Camino College.

When you are confronted with the unfortunate situation of unpaid wages, it is crucial to have a dedicated and experienced attorney by your side who can champion your rights and seek justice on your behalf. If you are owed unpaid wages, you may be able to seek compensation by filing a wage claim or a wage an hour lawsuit.

Do You Have an Unpaid Wage Claim in Torrance?

If you suspect that you have an unpaid wage claim in California, it is essential to understand your rights as an employee and the steps you can take to address the issue. Unpaid wage claims can arise from various situations, such as not receiving your full wages, overtime pay, or benefits. This article will guide you through the process of identifying and addressing unpaid wage claims in California.

If you believe you are in this situation, familiarize yourself with wage and labor laws in your state or country. Different regions have varying rules regarding minimum wage, overtime pay, meal and rest breaks, and other aspects of compensation. Carefully examine your pay stubs to ensure they accurately reflect your working hours, rates, and deductions. Discrepancies in pay stubs can indicate potential wage issues. If you have an employment contract or agreement, review it to understand the terms and conditions of your compensation.

Any discrepancies between the agreement and your actual pay could signal an unpaid wage claim. If you are unsure about the validity of your claim, consult an experienced Torrance unpaid wages attorney. They can evaluate your situation and advise you on the best course of action.

What Are the Most Common Wage and Hour Violations?

Here are some of the most common wage and hour violations in Torrance:

Misclassification: One of the most common wage violations in California is employee misclassification, where employers wrongly categorize workers as independent contractors instead of employees. This misclassification can result in employees being denied minimum wage, overtime pay, meal and rest breaks, and other labor law protections they are legally entitled to.

Unpaid wages: Employers sometimes delay or withhold employees' wages or final paychecks, which is illegal in California. This violation can also encompass issues related to unlawful deductions, such as taking money from an employee's paycheck for things like uniforms or equipment that are required for the job.

Unpaid overtime: Under California labor law, employees are entitled to overtime pay for hours worked over eight hours in a workday or over 40 hours in a workweek. Employers must pay time and a half for these extra hours. Common violations involve misclassifying employees as exempt from CA overtime law or failing to provide the appropriate overtime pay. Some employers may also manipulate work schedules to avoid paying overtime or pressure employees into working "off the clock."

Paid sick leave violations: In California, these types of violations typically involve employers failing to provide eligible employees with the required amount of paid sick leave or denying them the opportunity to use their accrued sick leave. California law mandates that employees accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Violations may also occur when employers refuse to reinstate accrued sick leave for returning employees or engage in retaliatory actions against employees who exercise their right to take sick leave, such as termination or disciplinary measures. Such violations can result in penalties and legal action against employers.

Failure to provide meal and rest breaks: California law mandates that employees be given meal breaks of at least 30 minutes for every five hours worked and rest breaks of 10 minutes for every four hours worked. Violations often occur when employers do not provide these breaks, pressure employees to skip them, or fail to compensate employees if they are not given adequate break time. Employees are also entitled to an additional hour of pay if they are not provided with meal and rest breaks.

How Much Time Do You Have to File a Claim for Unpaid Wages?

In California, the statutes of limitations or time limits for filing wage claims depends on the type of unpaid wages or labor violation.

Unpaid Regular Wages: Generally, you have three years from the date the unpaid wages were due to file a claim for unpaid regular wages. This means that you can typically go back up to three years to recover unpaid wages.

Unpaid Overtime: Similar to regular wages, you have three years to file a claim for unpaid overtime.

Minimum Wage Violations: The statute of limitations for minimum wage violations is also three years.

Unpaid Meal and Rest Break Premiums: For violations related to unpaid meal and rest break premiums, you have three years to file a claim.

Unpaid Vacation Pay: If you have unused vacation pay that your employer owes you, you generally have three years to file a claim.

Unpaid Bonuses or Commissions: Claims for unpaid bonuses or commissions typically have a two-year statute of limitations.

Unlawful Deductions: Claims related to unlawful deductions from your wages typically have a two-year statute of limitations.

It is important to note that these statutes of limitations may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case, and it's crucial to consult with an employment attorney or the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) for precise guidance. Also, be aware that there may be shorter time limits for claims under federal law or local ordinances, so it's essential to consider all relevant laws and regulations when pursuing unpaid wage claims in California.

How Do You File for Unpaid Wages in Torrance, CA?

In order to file a claim for unpaid wages in California, there are a few critical actions employees must take:

  • Collect all relevant documents, such as pay stubs, timesheets, and employment contracts, to substantiate your claim.
  • Communicate with your employer about the unpaid wages issue, seeking an amicable resolution.
  • If discussions with your employer do not resolve the matter, file a wage claim with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). This can be done online through the DLSE's website or by visiting a local DLSE office.
  • Provide comprehensive details about your employment, the unpaid wages, and any supporting documentation during the claim filing process.
  • Collaborate with DLSE investigators, cooperating fully by providing requested information and documents.

Free Confidential Case Evaluation

At Kingsley & Kingsley Lawyers, our Torrance unpaid wage attorneys strive to provide diligent, personalized legal representation to employees who have been wronged by unscrupulous employers. We understand the emotional and financial hardships that unpaid wages can bring, and we are committed to delivering the legal solutions and support needed to help you recover what you rightfully deserve.

Our employment lawyers possess a deep understanding of California labor laws and have a proven track record of successfully litigating and resolving unpaid wage cases. We are here to stand up for your rights, hold employers accountable, and work tirelessly to recover the wages that are owed to you. Call us today for a free, comprehensive and confidential consultation.

Obtain Your Free Case Evaluation

Our unpaid wage lawyers will take the time to thoroughly review your situation to determine if your employer is treating you fairly. If action is needed, we will act on your behalf, contacting your employer and moving the case forward if he or she does not amend the situation. Call 888-500-8469 or fill out our contact form to speak with one of our legal professionals for free.

Need Help? We're Here For You.

If your employer is not paying you your owed wages, we're here to help. Contact us today to receive a free unpaid wages case evaluation and get your questions answered. We've helped employees recover more than $300,000,000. All consultations are free.